This recipe was inspired by peach creamsicles – one of the quint-essential summer flavors of my childhood. But in a grown-up version with more flavor.
Ingredients for Cake
- 4 Eggs (room temperature)
- 1 Egg yolk
- 80 g sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla flavor
- 80 g flour
- 1/6 tsp baking powder (just use a little less than 1/4 tsp)
IngredientsÂ forÂ CaramelizedÂ Peaches
- 3 fresh peaches, halved, pitted, OR 2 cans canned peaches, drained. Cut 5 thin slices for decorations and the rest into small dice.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, plus one for decoration
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or dark rum (optional)
Ingredients for Cream Filling
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 6 Tbsp confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla flavor
- Preheat oven to 350ËšF. Line the bottom of a baking sheet (roughly 15×11 size) with parchment paper (do not grease).
- Add the eggs + egg yolk to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment and beat on high speed 1 min, or until foamy. Gradually add sugar and beat on high for another 4 min. It will be thick, fluffy and tripled in volume.
- Add vanilla and lemon peel and gently mix on lowest speed just until incorporated. Check to make sure the lemon peel did not clump up, break up and disperse any clumps if necessary.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder and sift into egg batter one third at a time, folding to incorporate between each addition and scraping from the bottom to catch hidden flour pockets. Stop mixing when you no longer see streaks of flour.
- Transfer to lined baking sheet and bake right away at 350ËšF for 13-15 min until the top is golden, not brown and the middle no longer wiggles. Remove from oven and right away run a thin edged spatula or knife around edges of your cake to loosen from the pan. While cake is hot, invert cake face down onto a clean, dry linen towel that is dusted with powdered sugar, remove parchment paper, then roll cake into the towel (roll up from the narrow side). Let cool to room temp (30 min – 1hr) in a draft free room.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramelized peaches. Melt butter and sugar in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salt, cinnamon, and 2-3 sprigs of rosemary, and cook while stirring until slightly bubbly and turning brown, approximately 1-2 minutes. Add all peaches and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 5 minutes. If using bourbon or rum, add to skillet, and cook until reduced, about 1 minute. Separate out the sliced peaches and let everything cool down to room temperature.
- Prepare the cream filling. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream for 1 minute on medium-high. Sprinkle on the confectioners sugar and vanilla flavor, and beat together starting on low speed to incorporate sugar, then turn the mixer up to high speed for 2-3 min or until whipped, white and fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed. Save about 1 cup of the whipped cream and set aside for decoration.
- Carefully unroll cake and loosen from the towel. Put dollops of the cream over the surface and spread evenly. Drain any excess liquid from the peaches. Evenly spread the diced caramelized peaches on top of the cream. Roll the cake tightly in the same direction you rolled it the first time. Slice off the edges if desired and dust generously with powdered sugar.
- For the topping, use the cream that was set aside. Transfer to a large piping bag with a large round tip and pipe 6 swirls over the top center, placing a peach slice and some rosemary leaves between each swirl. Sprinkle with thin lines of caramel across if you have some extra from the peaches.